who we are
Deo Victoria is originally an Afrikaans Church, that was established in Newcastle in 1976. In the beginning of 2015 we started an English Sunday meeting for the first time, and we are excited about making the English speaking people of our city, part of this great family of believers.
At Deo Victoria we are a Family of Bible believing Christians. We love God, we love our neighbours and we also love sinners. By loving one another, we are expressing our love for God. We want to help every person that comes to Deo Victoria, grow in their relationship with Jesus Christ. We want to see people saved, healed, set free, become disciples and be empowered, so they can ultimately serve Jesus Christ and His Kingdom. It all begins with our great weekend services in Afrikaans and English.
Church is much more than only attending a Sunday meeting. It is about connecting with other people, growing in your faith and building a strong foundation for your families. At the Deo Victoria Family, people can easily disappear in the crowd, and therefore we are a Church of small groups. We call it Connect Groups. We have many Connect Groups meeting throughout Newcastle and Utrecht, and our Connect group Facilitators and members are eager to meet you, and get to know you better.
We want to see every person in Newcastle and the surrounding areas to believe in Jesus Christ, belong to a family, become a disciple, and be a builder of His Kingdom. We want everyone to experience God in a deeper way, grow closer to people, and go wider by joining and serving in a ministry.
Deo Victoria is a Spirit driven family that is impacting Newcastle and the world with the love of Jesus.
We believe that values is what drives a vision, and therefore we have identified some core values so that people can understand exactly who we are:
- We value TRUTH
To teach the truth. At Deo Victoria we never shy away from the truth that is taught in the Word of God. We encourage our people to grow in the power of God’s Word.
- We value PEOPLE
Genuine relationships among genuine people. Deo Victoria is a place of love and acceptance, where anyone is welcome to just be themselves. We encourage our people to get together and cross boundaries to become One Body in Christ Jesus.
- We value GROWTH
Growth through discipleship and leadership. At Deo Victoria we want to see that people discover their identity in Christ. We encourage our people to grow to their full potential, to a life of freedom and maturity.
- We value WORSHIP
Worship in Spirit and truth. Deo Victoria is a place where we seek real encounters with God. We encourage our people to worship God with the diversity of their Spiritual gifts and talents.
- The GREAT COMMISSION
To be the hands and feet of Jesus. At Deo Victoria we are serious about the Great Commission of Jesus Christ. We encourage our people to make disciples both locally and among the nations.
Confession of Faith
The faith of our church is based on the following
- WE BELIEVE in God eternal, triune, almighty creator, sustainer and ruler of all creation.
- WE BELIEVE in God the Father, the author of creation and salvation.
- WE BELIEVE in Jesus Christ the only Son of God the Father, true God who for the sake of humanity and its salvation, descended from heaven and became flesh; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and was born by the virgin Mary; who lived on earth and was crucified, died and was buried, who rose from the dead and ascended to heaven where He is seated at the right hand of the Father.
- WE BELIEVE in the Holy Spirit, true God proceeding from the Father and the Son, who convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgement and leads in all truth.
- WE BELIEVE that the Bible is the word of God, written by men as the Holy Spirit inspired them. We believe that it authoritatively proclaims the will of God and teaches us all that is necessary for salvation.
- WE BELIEVE that all human beings are created in the image of God; due to their sinful rebellion, this image is marred, that all have sinned before God and it is the will of God that all people should receive salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.
- WE BELIEVE in the baptism in the Holy Spirit with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues as promised to all believers. We believe in the manifestation of the gifts and fruit of the Spirit in the life of a Christian. We believe that a Christian should be a disciple of Jesus Christ living a consecrated and holy life.
- WE BELIEVE that Jesus Christ is the Head of the Church which is constituted by the Holy Spirit and consists of born again believers. The Church is responsible for the proclamation and demonstration of the gospel and God’s will to all people. As a charismatic community they fellowship with and edify one another.
- WE BELIEVE that the believer’s baptism, by immersion and the Lord’s Supper are instituted by Jesus Christ to be observed by the Church.
- WE BELIEVE that at the time appointed by God, Jesus Christ will come to take away his Church.
- WE BELIEVE in a day of judgement when Jesus Christ will judge the living and the dead. We believe in the resurrection of the body and eternal life for the righteous and eternal punishment for the wicked. We believe in the new heaven and the new earth where God will reign in glory.
The mission of our church is
- To glorify God.
- To proclaim the Kingdom of God by preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit.
- To minister to the needs of the total person.
- To develop, equip and release believers into ministry.
- To extend the influence of the church beyond its boundaries and abroad.
- To promote the fellowship of the believers and to network ministries.
The church acknowledges the following ministries
- The equipping ministries according to Ephesians 4:1-14.
- The charismatic ministry gifts as described in Romans 12:6-9 and1 Corinthians 12:4-11.
- Elders and deacons (1 Tim.3 and Tit.1).